Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
Freeze them and then cook only as many as you need at one time.
- 2 loaves sandwich bread
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 (10 ounce) packagesfresh asparagus spears or 2 (10 ounce) packagesfrozen asparagus spears
- 3⁄4-1 lb unsalted butter, melted
- Trim crust from bread and flatten with a rolling pin.
- Beat cheeses and eggs together.
- Spread each piece with cheese mixture.
- Roll asparagus spears in bread.
- Dip in melted butter or margarine.
- Freeze with paper between layers.
- To serve, remove from freezer, slice in thirds, and bake for 15 minutes at 375°F to 400°F on a cookie sheet.
I followed the recipe perfectly and frozen them. These were great, they baked a little quicker in her oven but still turned out great. I used fresh asparagus, but think I will try it with frozen next time. Thanks. Very tasty a keeper.
I make these too, but mix 8oz.velvetta and 8oz. of cream cheese w/1T mayo and 1 egg and use can aspargus spears. They fit perfect on the bread and I cut them into 4 pieces before dipping in butter,freeze quickly on a cookie sheet and drop them in ziploc freezer baggies
These certainly taste like they were a lot more work than they actually are. I learned several things from my first try: 1) I used Trader Joes frozen asparagus spears which are very thin and long, so broke them in half and used 3 of the half pieces in each bread. A different brand of fatter spears might be easier. 2) I found that I could only put 1 tablespoon of cheese filling on each bread and still be able to roll it up without it oozeing out. Therefore, I ended up with extra cheese mixture. Next time I will get 3 loaves of bread. 3) I put the first layer of rolls directly on the cookie sheet to freeze, but found that, once frozen, I could not get them off the cookie sheet to cut them in thirds. Next time I will put paper under the first layer in addition to between any additional layers. 4) I threw my cookie sheets of rolls in the freezer overnight. They were frozen so solidly that I could not cut through them. I think I need to try to cut them into smaller pieces when they are only half frozen. All in all, this is a great way to make a large number of very tasty appetizers relatively quickly.