Recipe by JaniceJean
This is from Arthur Schwartz's site, The Food Maven. Please see his original posting for its history and exact instructions. I doubled the recipe as I always make a double batch. While I am not a New Yorker, and I believe I'm the only one in my family who is addicted to this recipe- I crave this and make it at least every two weeks. The tomatoes are a must.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk, plus
- 4 tablespoons light cream (or milk)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup crushed cannned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 -5 dashes cayenne
- 3 -5 dashes white pepper
- 1 lb small macaroni noodles, cooked al dente
Directions See How It's Made
- Make white sauce- melt butter, blend in flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Beat in milk and cream.
- Allow mixture to come to boil and thicken.
- Stir in cheese, peppers, sugar, tomatoes and salt.
- Stir in macaroni.
- Pour into shallow buttered baking dish and bake 400 for 25-30 minutes.