1 hr 15 mins
An old favorite from a 1997 issue of Sunset Magazine. Notes: For heat level 1, mix tomatoes with 1/4 teaspoon habanero chili hot sauce; for level 2, use 3/4 teaspoon; for level 3, use 1 1/2 teaspoons.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 tablespoons habanero sauce (to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 onions, quartered lengthwise and peeled (1 lb. total)
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and warmed
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- lime wedge
- 1In a 1-gallon zip-lock plastic bag, combine lime juice, tequila, oil, cumin, oregano, 6 tablespoons hot sauce, and garlic. Add chicken and onions, seal, and chill at least 15 minutes or up to 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- 2Combine tomatoes and 1/4 teaspoon to 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce; set aside.
- 3Oil a barbecue grill over a solid bed of hot coals or gas grill on high heat (you can hold your hand at grill level only 2 to 3 seconds). Lift onions from marinade and place on grill. Close lid on gas grill. Cook onions for 3 minutes, turn, cook a couple more minutes, then turn over and baste with marinade.
- 4Lift chicken from marinade and place on grill; close gas grill. Turn and baste chicken and onions occasionally until onions are soft and browned and meat is no longer pink in thickest part (cut to test), about 8 minutes. Transfer chicken and onions to a board and keep warm.
- 5Heat tortillas on grill, turning once, until softened and lightly speckled brown, 30 to 60 seconds.
- 6Slice chicken crosswise. Place portions of chicken, onions, and beans in tortillas. Top with tomatoes, sour cream, and a squeeze of lime. Fold up bottom of tortillas, then fold in sides.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hoppin' Habanero-Lime Chicken Fajitas
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 404.4
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 61.1 mg
- Sodium 706.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 29.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: