Prep 2 hrs
Cook 50 mins
Mmmmmm! Fresh bread!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups unbleached bread flour
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon wheat germ
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄8 ounces active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- Grease large bowl. Mix 1 ½ c whole wheat flour, dry milk, salt, & yeast in large bowl.
- Heat water, honey, & shortening over low heat until warm & shortening melts.
- Pour hot liquid into flour mixture. Blend with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, then 2 minutes on medium.
- Stir in remaining ½ c whole wheat flour, wheat germ, & flax seed meal.
- Stir in 1 ¾ to 2 c white flour (this becomes more & more difficult).
- Use rest of flour to knead. Knead on floured surface about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in bowl, covered with dish towel until light doubled in size (about 45-60 minutes).
- Punch dough down. Proof (let it rest on board) 10 minutes.
- Shape into free form loaf. Cover loaf, and let rise again, about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375F for 45-50 minutes until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pan, cool on rack, slice.