1/4 Photos of Honey Spiced Poached Grapefruit
1 hr 25 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
Tart grapefruit becomes sweet and delicate when poached in a syrup of honey and warm spices. Serve with yogurt or fromage blanc for a delicious breakfast treat, or with vanilla ice cream for dessert. From Whole Foods.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut a thin slice off the top and bottom of grapefruits with a small serrated knife. Working from the top of the fruit to the bottom, follow the curve of the fruit to cut away peel and white pith.
- 2With a paring knife, slice along one side of a segment, separating it from the thin membrane. Slice down the other side to remove the whole segment. Repeat with remaining segments. Work over a bowl to catch juices. Set aside.
- 3In a large saucepan combine water, honey, sugar, grapefruit zest, ginger, cinnamon sticks and star anise.
- 4Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve honey and sugar, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- 5Add grapefruit segments and juice and cook at a very gentle simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove fruit with slotted spoon and set aside.
- 6Bring poaching liquid back to a boil and boil until mixture is reduced to about a cup of syrup.
- 7Spoon syrup over grapefruit segments and chill for a least an hour before serving.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey Spiced Poached Grapefruit
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 488.9
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 129.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 119.5 g
- Protein 1.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
grapefruits, zest of