Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tart grapefruit becomes sweet and delicate when poached in a syrup of honey and warm spices. Serve with yogurt or fromage blanc for a delicious breakfast treat, or with vanilla ice cream for dessert. From Whole Foods.
- Cut a thin slice off the top and bottom of grapefruits with a small serrated knife. Working from the top of the fruit to the bottom, follow the curve of the fruit to cut away peel and white pith.
- With a paring knife, slice along one side of a segment, separating it from the thin membrane. Slice down the other side to remove the whole segment. Repeat with remaining segments. Work over a bowl to catch juices. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan combine water, honey, sugar, grapefruit zest, ginger, cinnamon sticks and star anise.
- Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve honey and sugar, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Add grapefruit segments and juice and cook at a very gentle simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove fruit with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Bring poaching liquid back to a boil and boil until mixture is reduced to about a cup of syrup.
- Spoon syrup over grapefruit segments and chill for a least an hour before serving.
In the end, we really liked this. I think 1 cinnamon stick & 1 star anise would be sufficient; the syrup was really strong! I doubled the grapefruit ~ there was plenty of syrup; perhaps this could be cut back? I like how this can be made ahead! Thank you! Made for Grapefruit Tag in the Spain/Portugal Forum 6/12.
A lovely recipe! I used crystallized ginger instead of fresh but followed the rest of the recipe, delicious!
I cut this recipe in half for just the 2 of us, & now that I know how great it is, both in taste & presentation, I look forward to making it for overnight company! Definitely a winner no matter how you look at it! Thanks for sharing! [Made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hits recipe tag]