My recipe for a corn bread baked and glazed with honey and fresh orange essences can be baked in a dish, or prepared as muffins.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons grade a pure honey
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lightly beaten large egg
- 1 tablespoon salted real butter
- 1 tablespoon grade a pure honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange zest
- NOTE: USE ONLY GRADE A HONEY, BUTTER, AND ORGANIC RIPE ORANGES. IF MAKING MUFFINS, IT IS RECOMMENDED YOU DOUBLE THE HONEY-ORANGE GLAZE RECIPE. (STEP ONE): PREHEAT oven to 400°F for sheet cornbread, OR 350°F for muffins; BUTTER an 8"x8" square glass baking dish or a 9"x9" glass pie plate (OR grease, then add liners, in up to 18 muffin cups); FINELY grate 1/4 teaspoon fresh orange zest for the glaze; KNEAD and squeeze oranges to yield 6 tablespoons juice for the batter.
- COMBINE the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl (1 cup yellow cornmeal, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon).
- WHISK the wet ingredients well in a small mixing bowl (3/4 cup fat-free buttermilk, 6 tablespoons grade A pure honey, 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, and 1 lightly beaten large egg).
- ADD the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; STIR just until blended (IF PREPARING MUFFINS, LET BATTER REST 3-4 MINUTES, RE-STIR, THEN FILL MUFFIN CUPS.
- SCRAPE batter into prepared baking dish, or equally into muffin cups, using a flexible spatula.
- BAKE sheet cornbread on center rack at 400°F for 20-25 minutes, OR muffins at 350°F for 18-20 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- MEANWHILE, prepare the HONEY-ORANGE GLAZE: In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon salted real butter. Add 1 tablespoon grade A pure honey and 1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange zest. Stir until flavors meld and consistency is smooth, about 3 minutes. Keep warm on lowest heat.
- IMMEDIATELY after baking while wearing oven mitts, baste the HONEY-ORANGE GLAZE quickly, neatly and evenly over top of corn bread using a soft pastry brush.
- COVER baking tin with a foil tent (don't allow tent to touch cornbread or muffins), sealing the edges tightly; LET stand for 10 minutes.
- SERVE warm and enjoy.
Being born and raised in the southern state of Florida, I adore cornbread and fresh oranges but never considered combining the two. This was my first time baking cornbread from scratch without a boxed mix, and I vow never to use a mix again. These corn muffins are a million times better than my usual ones made with Arrowhead Mills Organic Cornbread and Muffin Mix! I made twelve corn muffins replacing all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour. Also, I reduced the amount of oil to 3 tablespoons and increased the milk to 1 cup to compensate for less oil. Using a No. 16 spring-handled ice-cream scoop filled the muffin cups to the perfect level in one try (different scoop sizes are identified by number). Doubling the Honey-Orange Glaze as recommended for muffins made exactly ¼ cup of the glaze, which is one teaspoon per muffin for twelve muffins. I used a measuring teaspoon to evenly pour the glaze on each muffin instead of basting with a brush because I did not want to waste one precious drop of the delectable glaze. The muffins were incredibly moist and delicious. Oranges are not just for breakfast...I served Honey-Orange Glazed Corn Bread Muffins with savory oxtail soup and the freshness of sweet honey and citrus really jazzed up a humble bowl of beef and vegetables. Thank you, Spice Guru, for elevating cornbread, a simple comfort food, to another dimension!