Recipe by LAURIE
This came from a school cookbook, circa 1989. It is a basic coffeecake, but the topping is what makes it special. Use your choice of cereals depending on your mood. Cornflakes make it plain and you may want to add cinnamon, the flavored flakes make it unique. Experiment!
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3⁄4 cup shredded coconut (I usually toast about 1/2 of it and leave 1/2 plain)
- 3⁄4 cup cereal flake
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Cut in shortening.
- Add egg and milk, stirring only until all the flour is moistened.
- Spread into greased 9 inch square pan.
- Mix topping ingredients together.
- Cover batter with topping.
- Bake 25-30 minutes in 400 degree oven.
- Cut into squares.
- Best served warm.