Recipe by Mimi in Maine
This is a wonderful bread, especially toasted in the morning. It makes great sandwiches and has a mild flavor.
- 3 cups milk (scalded)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 6 1⁄2-7 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the yeast and the warm water together to proof.
- In a separate bowl put the milk, salt, cornmeal, honey, and butter (make sure the butter melts in the hot milk); mix well.
- Add 3 cups of the flour and mix well.
- Add the proofed yeast and mix well.
- Add the rest of the flour gradually, mixing to make a good dough.
- Knead for about 10 minutes or 100 times.
- Put in oiled bowl and let rise till double.
- Punch down and rise again till double.
- Divide in half and place in two greased bread pans and rise again.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
- If the tops get browner than you like during the last part of baking, put foil around them.