1/1 Photo of Honey Bread from Ethiopia - Yermarina Yewotet Dabo
3 hrs 15 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
Baby Kato's Note:
This is a recipe from the web that I found for use in ZWT 7 - for our trip to Africa. I haven't tried it, but it sounds delicious. This bread is traditionally served with butter and honey.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small, shallow bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the lukewarm water.
- 2Let the mixture stand for 2-3 minutes and then stir to dissolve the yeast completely.
- 3Set the bowl in a warm, draft-free place for approximately 5 minutes or until the yeast bubbles up and the mixture almost doubles in volume.
- 4Combine the egg, honey, coriander, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a deep bowl. Mix together with a wire whisk or spoon and add the yeast mixture, milk and 4 tablespoons of the melted butter, beating until the ingredients are well blended.
- 5Now stir in the flour, ½ a cup at a time, using only as much as is necessary to make a dough that can be gathered into a soft ball.
- 6When the dough becomes too stiff to stir easily, blend in the additional flour with your fingers.
- 7On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough by folding it end to end, then pressing it down and pushing it forward several times with the heel of your hand.
- 8Rub your hands with a little melted butter if the dough sticks to the board or your fingers, but do not use any extra flour lest the dough becomes stiff and hard.
- 9Continue kneading for approximately 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- 10Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a large, lightly buttered bowl. Drape a kitchen towel over the bowl and set in a warm, draft-free spot for approximately 1 hour or until the dough rises and doubles in bulk.
- 11With a pastry brush, spread the remaining melted butter evenly over the bottom and sides of a 3-quart baking dish at least 3 inches deep.
- 12Punch the dough down with a single blow of your fist, and then knead it again for 1-2 minutes. Shape the dough roughly into a round and place it in the buttered baking dish, pressing it down into the corners so that it covers the bottom of the dish completely.
- 13Return the dough to the warm, draft-free place for approximately 1 hour, or until it has doubled in bulk and risen at least as high as the top rim of the dish.
- 14Pre-heat the oven to 300o F and bake the bread in the middle of the oven for 50-60 minutes, until the top is crusty and light golden brown.
- 15Turn the honey bread out of the pan onto a cake rack to cool.
- 16Serve the Honey Bread while still somewhat warm, or allow to cool completely.
Browse Our Top Ethiopian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ethiopian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey Bread from Ethiopia - Yermarina Yewotet Dabo
Serving Size: 1 (1131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3217.8
- Calories from Fat 803
- Total Fat 89.3 g
- Saturated Fat 51.8 g
- Cholesterol 403.3 mg
- Sodium 3713.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 540.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.8 g
- Sugars 140.8 g
- Protein 70.7 g