These are just like the ones served at restaurants and there great to serve at a get together although you will need to increase the amounts if you are feeding a crowd, I use Heinz hickory-flavor BBQ sauce but any brand will do as long as it is hickory flavor, if you like some heat then add in 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper to the flour mixture, serve with fries and coleslaw :)---- these are *very* good, I have made them many times.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cut into strips
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
HONEY BBQ SAUCE
- 1 cup hickory flavored barbecue sauce (Heinz is good)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- For chicken strips: Mix flour, salt and pepper in a bowl; set aside.
- Place buttermilk in a separate bowl.
- Heat the oil for frying.
- Dip chicken strips in flour, then in buttermilk, and then again in flour.
- Place in hot oil (the temperature should read 375 degrees).
- Never crowd the chicken strips in the oil, fry only a few at a time until lightly golden brown Remove strips from oil; drain on paper towel.
- To make sauce: place all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan, mix thoroughly, and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes; cool slightly.
- Dip one chicken strip in sauce at a time; place on baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Place the chicken strips on a 350 degree oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve with french fries.
Great recipe! My kids gobbled these up! I added garlic and onion powder to the flour mixture, and also just brushed the tops of the chicken with sauce so they would stay crispy. My kids definitely want these on the menu again. Thanks for the recipe.
These were good...I used honey bbq sauce, no hickory or honey....no complaints
These were really delicious.Next time I will read some reviews and try getting tips from there. The chicken strips were not crunchy after baking them with the sauce.Maybe I put too much sauce or I should have reduced the baking time I don't know....Will definitely keep this recipe as I liked the flavor so much really tasty and well worth to try for anyone thinking about it.Thanks.