1/2 Photos of Homestyle Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Amazing cookie - a bit like shortbread but way, way better. I got this years ago from a magazine article about a man with a cookie company who made these and the magazine called them the best chocolate chunk cookies ever. They are. I've made them with milk chocolate, with white chocolate and macadamia nuts, with a combination of different chocolates or even using brown sugar instead of white and toasted pecans instead of chocolate. Use good quality chocolate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Grease cookie sheets.
- 3Separate eggs. Bring butter to room temperature.
- 4Combine all ingredients except chocolate and egg whites.
- 5Mix well.
- 6Stir in chocolate (and nuts if you like).
- 7Roll in 1 1/2" balls and place on cookie sheet.
- 8Flatten balls to 3/8" (Yes, they are pretty thick. They don't spread much.).
- 9Brush with beaten egg white. Don't skip this step as it creates the distinctive crackly top.
- 10Bake 10-12 minutes or until just starting to brown on the edges. I find baking a single sheet in the top third of the oven gives the best results. They tend to burn on the bottom if baked lower in the oven.
- 11Cool on the sheets 1-2 minutes until firm enough to move to racks for cooling.
- 12Alternate preparation method: Roll the dough into a 2 1/2 " diameter log. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for an hour or freeze for up to several weeks. Before baking, thaw if frozen. Cut into slices 3/8" thick. Brush with egg white and bake as above.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homestyle Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.2
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 36.2 mg
- Sodium 80.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 2.3 g