Recipe by rasully
Tasty healthy home made wholemeal pizza, I found a couple of recipes then amended them to make a lovely pizza from scratch. Preparation time includes dough rising.
Top Review by TMT/Galaxidi
I am always looking for recipes with wholemeal flour so i was really pleased to find this one. Very easy to prepare the dough, and so much better than bought! Of course, toppings can be varied. I will be making this recipe often. Thank you so much.
For the Base
- 250 g strong wholemeal flour
- 300 ml water
- 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch mixed Italian herbs (oregano, basil etc)
For the Sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 pinch mixed Italian herbs
For the Topping
- 150 g thinly sliced mozzarella cheese or 150 g grated mozzarella cheese
- 100 g grated Mature cheddar cheese
- thinly sliced vegetables
- sliced cooked meat
Directions See How It's Made
- Ferment the yeast by adding the yeast and sugar to 150ml warm water, then whisking till dissolved. Leave to stand for 10-15 minutes whilst it froths.
- Add the yeast water mix to the wholemeal flour and herbs, add the olive oil and mix well. Continue to mix and add water till you achieve a stretchy dough consistency, but not sticky. (If it goes sticky add more flour).
- Set the dough aside in a bowl covered in clingfilm or a damp towel for about 1 hour. Once the dough has grown to roughly twice its original size it is ready for kneading.
- Knead or roll the dough to the correct shape/size you require, place on to a lightly oiled baking tray / pizza tray (by oiling the tray the pizza wont stick).
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, 190°C or Gas mark 5.
- Mix the Tomato puree with the herbs, then spread the mixture over the base.
- Lay out the vegetable/meat toppings on the pizza. Then layer the mozzarella and the cheddar on top.
- Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden.