2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Makes 2 loaves or 2 dozen rolls
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Scald the milk then add sugar, salt, and 6 Tbls of shortening.
- 2Stir until sugar is dissovled then cool until lukewarm.
- 3Sprinkle the yeast on the water and stir til dissolved.
- 4Add milk mixture to dissolved yeast.
- 5Stir in 3 cups of the flour and beat until smooth.
- 6Stir in the remaining flour.
- 7Turn out on a lightly floured board.
- 8Knead the dough until smooth and elastic and dough does not stick to the board.
- 9Place dough in a greased bowl and brush top with the 2 Tbls melted shortening.
- 10Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size. This takes about 1 hour.
- 11Punch down and turn out onto a lightly floured board.
- 12For Loaves:.
- 13Divide dough in half and shape into 2 loaves.
- 14Place in greased loaf pans.
- 15Cover with damp cloth and let rise until center of dough is slightly higher than edges of pans (about an hour).
- 16Heat oven to 400.
- 17Bake for 50 minutes to an hour.
- 18Remove from pans immediately and cool on a rack.
- 19For Rolls:.
- 20Divide dough in half.
- 21Roll out each half 1/2 inch thick on a lightly floured board.
- 22Cut with a 2 1/2 inch round cutter.
- 23Crease heavily across the center with the dull edge of a knife.
- 24Brush lightly with some of 2 Tbls melted shortening.
- 25Fold each over at crease.
- 26Place on a greased baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- 27Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubles in size.
- 28Heat oven to 400 and back rolls for 20 minutes or until brown.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade White Bread and Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (697 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1941.7
- Calories from Fat 535
- Total Fat 59.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 17.0 mg
- Sodium 7733.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 304.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 19.7 g
- Protein 42.4 g