Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Makes 2 loaves or 2 dozen rolls
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 6 cups sifted enriched flour
- 2 tablespoons melted shortening
- Scald the milk then add sugar, salt, and 6 Tbls of shortening.
- Stir until sugar is dissovled then cool until lukewarm.
- Sprinkle the yeast on the water and stir til dissolved.
- Add milk mixture to dissolved yeast.
- Stir in 3 cups of the flour and beat until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining flour.
- Turn out on a lightly floured board.
- Knead the dough until smooth and elastic and dough does not stick to the board.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and brush top with the 2 Tbls melted shortening.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size. This takes about 1 hour.
- Punch down and turn out onto a lightly floured board.
- For Loaves:.
- Divide dough in half and shape into 2 loaves.
- Place in greased loaf pans.
- Cover with damp cloth and let rise until center of dough is slightly higher than edges of pans (about an hour).
- Heat oven to 400.
- Bake for 50 minutes to an hour.
- Remove from pans immediately and cool on a rack.
- For Rolls:.
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll out each half 1/2 inch thick on a lightly floured board.
- Cut with a 2 1/2 inch round cutter.
- Crease heavily across the center with the dull edge of a knife.
- Brush lightly with some of 2 Tbls melted shortening.
- Fold each over at crease.
- Place on a greased baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubles in size.
- Heat oven to 400 and back rolls for 20 minutes or until brown.