Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have always loved mexican food, and that includes dessert !
- 1 (2 1/4 teaspoon) package active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oleo, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 3⁄4-3 1⁄4 cups flour
- salad oil (for deep frying)
- Dissolve yeast in warm water; add sugar, salt, oleo and egg. Stir in enough flour to make soft dough. On lightly floured surface, knead dough for several minutes and let rise until double in bulk, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness; cut into 2 inch squares. Drop into hot 350 to 360 degree oil and fry briefly until brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with honey.
Very easy and delicious. Make sure you let it rise long enough.
I have tried several different recipes for sopapillas through out the years with little to no luck.....tasteless, flat, greasy etc. You seem to have the secret, or is it the yeast? What ever it was, they turned great and my quest for the perfect "soppypillow" (3 year old grandson) has come to an end. Thank you so much for sharing