Prep 3 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Thank you to Inge for pointing out to me the error in this recipe; it is now updated! Sure, it's easier to buy a package of buns at the store. But these are delicious, with a fine texture and a taste that doesn't interfere with the burger or toppings (unlike those too-sweet buns you buy at the store). And they look gorgeous! (And sorry about the "1/2 egg" measurement; I just beat one egg and use only half of it.)
- Stir together the water, dry milk, vegetable shortening, salt and sugar (the shortening will not be dissolved and it doesn't matter).
- Sprinkle the package of yeast over this mixture and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Add the 1/2 egg and 1/2 to 1 cup of flour.
- Gradually add another 2 cups (approximately) of flour to make a sticky soft dough; knead on a floured surface for one minute (this isn't a particularly easy task), then scrape it back into your bowl and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Add about another 1-1/2 cups flour so dough isn't extremely sticky and knead dough until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (I like to let it sit on top of the clothes dryer), for about another hour and a half.
- Grease a large cookie sheet.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and roll into balls.
- Place dough balls on the greased cookie sheet and flatten each of them with your hand to form a 3 to 3-1/2 inch diameter disk.
- Cover and let them rise another 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Brush tops with a little of the egg white (you won't use it all), then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for about another 5 minutes.
- Remove from sheets and cool on baking racks.
I made these last week and they were awesome! I mentioned this recipe in my blog at:http://homemadeday.blogspot.com/2012/08/easy-peasy-homemade-sesame-seed-buns.html
Thanks so much for the awesome recipe! I'll be sure to hang on to this one!
Since I did all the baking, the last one out of the kitchen has to clean it. That means YOU! Love 'em.