1/6 Photos of Homemade Sesame Hamburger Buns
3 hrs 15 mins
Thank you to Inge for pointing out to me the error in this recipe; it is now updated! Sure, it's easier to buy a package of buns at the store. But these are delicious, with a fine texture and a taste that doesn't interfere with the burger or toppings (unlike those too-sweet buns you buy at the store). And they look gorgeous! (And sorry about the "1/2 egg" measurement; I just beat one egg and use only half of it.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Stir together the water, dry milk, vegetable shortening, salt and sugar (the shortening will not be dissolved and it doesn't matter).
- 2Sprinkle the package of yeast over this mixture and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the 1/2 egg and 1/2 to 1 cup of flour.
- 4Gradually add another 2 cups (approximately) of flour to make a sticky soft dough; knead on a floured surface for one minute (this isn't a particularly easy task), then scrape it back into your bowl and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- 5Add about another 1-1/2 cups flour so dough isn't extremely sticky and knead dough until smooth and elastic.
- 6Cover and let rise in a warm place (I like to let it sit on top of the clothes dryer), for about another hour and a half.
- 7Grease a large cookie sheet.
- 8Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and roll into balls.
- 9Place dough balls on the greased cookie sheet and flatten each of them with your hand to form a 3 to 3-1/2 inch diameter disk.
- 10Cover and let them rise another 45 minutes.
- 11Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 12Brush tops with a little of the egg white (you won't use it all), then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 13Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for about another 5 minutes.
- 14Remove from sheets and cool on baking racks.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Sesame Hamburger Buns
Serving Size: 1 (1153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.8
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 16.7 mg
- Sodium 252.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 10.6 g