Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
A dry herb blend for giving any ground meat a "sausage" flavoring. Try this not only with ground pork, but also ground turkey, beef, or chicken. Adapted from a recipe that came with one of my pizza pans. Recipe can be doubled, tripled, etc as needed. Each batch is enough to season 1 pound of meat. Leave out the crushed red pepper flakes for milder sausage.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 2⁄3 teaspoon garlic granules or 2⁄3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄3 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, for spicy (optional)
- Blend all ingredients together in a spice grinder or mini-food processor (or you may also just stir together if you like some chunkier bits of fennel in your sausage).
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- To use, mix with 1 pound ground meat.
- Chill seasoned meat 3 hours before using.
- Or you may also use this in any recipe calling for sausage seasoning.
I just made this, recently we have become mostly vegetarian and I have been searching for a veggie sausage recipe with the right amount of spice. None seemed to have the depth of flavor I've been looking for, so I decided to search out sausage seasoning mixes. This is perfect, I made one addition-sage, because I wanted a more breakfast-y sausage mixture. Excellent!
So... I needed some Italian sausage to make #195763, but I did not have any. Food.com to the rescue, as it has so many times before.
This blend was absolutely perfect for my needs, and by the time the soup was finished, you literally could not tell that I had used ground beef instead of Italian sausage.
Thank you for posting this. I will most definitely be using it again.
A good blend I've used many times. Kept in a pepper mill, I grind as needed.