Recipe by HeatherFeather
A dry herb blend for giving any ground meat a "sausage" flavoring. Try this not only with ground pork, but also ground turkey, beef, or chicken. Adapted from a recipe that came with one of my pizza pans. Recipe can be doubled, tripled, etc as needed. Each batch is enough to season 1 pound of meat. Leave out the crushed red pepper flakes for milder sausage.
Top Review by ntotheozmom
I just made this, recently we have become mostly vegetarian and I have been searching for a veggie sausage recipe with the right amount of spice. None seemed to have the depth of flavor I've been looking for, so I decided to search out sausage seasoning mixes. This is perfect, I made one addition-sage, because I wanted a more breakfast-y sausage mixture. Excellent!
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 2⁄3 teaspoon garlic granules or 2⁄3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄3 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, for spicy (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend all ingredients together in a spice grinder or mini-food processor (or you may also just stir together if you like some chunkier bits of fennel in your sausage).
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- To use, mix with 1 pound ground meat.
- Chill seasoned meat 3 hours before using.
- Or you may also use this in any recipe calling for sausage seasoning.