Prep 2 hrs
Cook 40 mins
I made rye bread previously, which my wife has never liked, so I decided to make white bread. This recipe borrows from Tyler Florence's recipe, streamlining some of the steps and using of skim milk and light butter instead of whole milk and regular butter.
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3 tablespoons light butter
- 1 (1 tablespoon) package fast rising yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 egg whites, divided
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Microwave 1/4 cup of milk in a small container for 30 seconds or allow to reach room temperature. Mix in sugar and yeast. Let stand until yeast starts to foam, about 5 minutes.
- Microwave 3/4 cup of milk together with butter for 1 minute or until butter is melted.
- Combine yeast mixture with butter/milk mixture in mixing bowl. If you have a blender, use a dough hook to blend in flour gradually with blender on the lowest setting. Before adding the last 1/2 cup of flour switch to medium setting, and add in the salt and one of the egg whites. Use a spatula to scrape excess flour from the edges. Continue mixing until the dough pulls away from the edges and starts to ride up the dough hooks.
- Remove dough from bowl and knead on a separate work surface, folding it in on itself several times, until remaining bits of flour are integrated. DON'T ADD FLOUR TO THE WORK SURFACE, since this will change the density of the dough. Shape the dough into a ball.
- Spray the inside of the mixing bowl with cooking spray, return the dough to the bowl, and roll it around to coat with cooking spray. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place on warm surface (like the stove without anything on the burners). Allow to rise until dough doubles in size, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove dough from bowl, and gently place on work surface. Don't punch down the dough or knead it at this point, as this will result in overly dense bread.
- Coat the inside of a bread pan with cooking spray and place dough in the pan. Spread the dough out evenly, ensuring that dough touches all sides of the pan. Cover pan with plastic wrap, place on warm surface, and allow to rise for at least 20 minutes, or until bread has nearly risen to the top of the pan.
- Brush the top of the dough with the remaining egg white. Sprinkle sesame seeds evenly over the top of the dough.
- Bake bread for 30 to 40 minutes on the lowest rack in the oven, or until the surface is a golden brown color.
- Remove bread immediately from the pan and place on a rack to stop the heat of the pan from continuing to cook the bread.