I recipe I came up with when I was trying to figure out a way to make my own graham crackers.
Make and share this Homemade Graham Crackers recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup white flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons water (or more)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sugar, for dusting
- Combine all the dry ingredients, then cut in butter and shorting.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together, except extra sugar, then pour into the flour mixture. Stir to combine then form into a ball and place into the fridge for a while (I did about 30 minutes). Note you may need to add more molasses or honey if you feel the dough it not coming together well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll dough out onto a floured surface until thin, then cut into about 16 rectangles. If the dough cracks, just press it together with your fingers.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes OR until lightly browned and crisp. This really matter on how thin you roll the dough.
- If desired, sprinkle the tops with extra sugar before baking, pressing the sugar onto the tops of the squares with the rolling pin to adhere the sugar. Also this dough tends to crack a lot, that's okay, just press it back together with your fingers.