Prep 3 mins
Cook 2 mins
Is anyone else as obsessed as I was with Nature's Path instant Flax n' Oats oatmeal? Well, worry no more if you run out! This one is a taste-alike with easy ingredients and can be mixed up ahead of time or super-fast!
- 1⁄3 cup rolled oats, plus
- 1 tablespoon rolled oats (or use quick oats, see note)
- 2 -3 teaspoons whole flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons unbleached cane sugar
- 1⁄16 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄3 cup boiling water, more if needed
- Notes on oats: I use a more finely-rolled, organic oat. Otherwise use quick oats or try grinding your rolled oats a bit.
- Mix together the first four ingredients. If doubling, tripling, etc., mix each in its own bowl / bag. I know this seems silly but if you do it all together and then divide into servings, the sugar and salt will end up mostly in the last one!
- If saving for future, keep in small containers or plastic baggies.
- When ready to eat, pour into a bowl. Add fully boiling water- start with 1/3 cup, and stir it well. If you like it thinner, add more just a spoonful at a time, stirring till you get the consistency you want.
- Cover and wait just a minute for the oats to soak up all the water. (This is optional, but reccommended.)
- Devour! I like to top mine with berries; stir in diced apple or pear BEFORE adding water; try different nuts, etc. This is just a base really, but a darn good one!
I can't get over how easy, fast and delicious this breakfast is. It will be my standard oatmeal recipe from now on. I loved the fact that it could be made in the serving bowl, eliminating cleaning a pot! I bruised the flax seeds first, and did not use sugar because I was adding sweetened dried berries. I also eliminated the salt, but when I started eating I realized that this little bit is necessary for the full flavour. I can see many variations using this as a base so that you never need to have the same breakfast two days in a row.
I made this with steal-cut oats and thought the addition of flaxseed was a nice addition. I also added raisins. Thansk for sharing!