Recipe by Kate in Katoomba
This is what custard should really taste like.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I have no idea what authentic English Custard should taste like, but I made this recipe to serve with another recipe of English origin, & those two recipes made for a very, very nice taste experience! Will be keeping your custard recipe on hand! Thanks for sharing!
- 250 ml milk
- 150 ml double cream
- 2 free range egg yolks
- 50 g caster sugar (I like to use vanilla sugar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the milk and cream in a saucepan and bring slowly to the boil.
- Meanwhile whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy.
- As soon as the milk and cream mixture comes to the boil, pour onto the egg mixture and beat well.
- Return to the pan and place over a very gentle heat (or in a basin over a pan of simmering water) and stir continuously until the custard has thickened. Serve hot.
- should you need to keep the custard warm, lay a piece of greaseproof paper on the surface to stop a skin forming.