Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Homemade Vanilla Custard With Fruit
- 4 large egg yolks
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons flour or 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 8 ounces soft butter
- In a large pot pour milk and half of the sugar and bring to just below boil. Reduce heat to medium.
- Meanwhile in a bowl whisk egg yolks with the remaining sugar, flour and vanilla. Add 1 cup from the warm milk and carefully mix, then add mixture to the remaining warm milk and heat gently (on low heat), stirring with a wooden spoon. Keep stirring until custard thickens, or for at least 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add butter, which will thicken the custard even more, after it cools down. Stir again and remove from heat. You can strain custard to get rid of any lumps.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or cold.