Recipe by rochsann
I think this is a great chili recipe--it's from the Jan/Feb 2003 issue of "Cooking Light". The flavors come together nicely, and I like the addition of brown sugar, and of course, wine!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage (I use kid-friendly mild)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄4 cups merlot or 1 1⁄4 cups other fruity red wine
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pot and cook sausage (casings removed), onion, green pepper, garlic, ground sirloin, and jalapeno until meat is browned (about 8 minutes).
- Add chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, tomato paste, oregano, pepper, salt, and bay leaves, and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in wine, tomatoes, and beans; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Sprinkle servings with cheese, if desired.