Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Excellent bread for gift-giving around the holidays. It's dense, moist texture makes it a favorite. I received a recipe phamphlet, An Epicurean's Holiday, from the Texas Power and Light Company in 1975 when I was just 14 years old. I have had it ever since!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 24 ounces frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl stir all the dry ingredients together.
- Make a "well" in the center of the mixture.
- Pour the strawberries, oil and eggs into the hole.
- Mix by hand until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Add the food coloring if desired.
- Pour the batter into 2 greased and floured 9 x 5 x 2-1/2" loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until tests done.
- You can use smaller size loaf pans for more loaves. Reduce cooking time.
This is a lovely, lovely bread! The flavor is awesome. It came out a bit moister than I expected and it's falling apart on me. I'm thinking it's because there was too much juice in the strawberries. I'll try it again closer to Christmas but drain the strawberries first. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us! Made for My 3 Chefs, fall 2009