Recipe by Julesong
An unusual and colorful Italian holiday salad from Giada De Laurentiis, of the show "Everyday Italian." On the show she used either the cranberries or the pomegranate, but I think it's good with both!
- 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar, to taste (optional)
- 5 heads Belgian endive, ends trimmed and cut into 1 inch circles
- 1 medium green apple, peeled,cored,and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 avocado, diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 lemon, additional
- 1⁄4 lb gruyere cheese, rind removed and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 small pomegranate, seeded,rinsed,and patted dry (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup thawed frozen corn kernels or 1⁄2 ear of corn, cooked and kernels removed
Directions See How It's Made
- Juice the 2 lemons into a small boil, then add salt, pepper, olive oil, and balsamic (optional, Giada's recipe didn't include it but my version does, how much you use depends on the grade/strength of your balsamic) and whisk together to make the dressing; set aside.
- Get a large, decorative serving bowl and put the prepared endive, apple, and avocado into it.
- Squeeze the juice from the additional 1/2 lemon over the endive, apple, and avocado and toss well- this will keep them from turning brown.
- Add the cheese, cranberries, pomegranate seeds (if using), and corn.
- Just before serving, whisk the dressing again then pour it over the salad and toss to coat.