Recipe by GrandmaG
Posted per request. Great Christmas appetizer! From the Pillsbury Crescent Special Edition cook book. How ever I did replace the 1/2 cup chive - and - onion potato topper with 1/2 cup of my prepared Chive and Garlic Dip Mix. This dip has a better flavor than the potato topper. Recipe makes two trees. Prep time about an hour, decorating time...well thats up to you! I would love to see several pictures of this one, as it can be decorated several ways.
Top Review by LilPinkieJ
I made this for my MIL and SIL when we were busy making their Christmas trays. They loved it so much and it was great for getting us in a festive mood after slaving away in the kitchen all morning. I made my own onion dip to use. I like that the bread was flavored, otherwise it would be a bit bland tasting. I think next time I make this, I will use freshly shredded or shaved Parmesan cheese for even more flavor. Made and Reviewed for Zaar Cookbooks Tag - Thanks much! :)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup prepared sour cream and chive dip (I use recipe 101256)
- 10 medium cherry tomatoes, sliced into 30 slices
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Unroll cans of dough and separate into 4 long rectangles; firmly press perforations together.
- Sprinkle each rectangle with 1 tablespoon cheese and 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning.
- Starting with one short side, roll up each rectangle, forming 4 rolls (like a jelly roll).
- With serrated knife, cut each roll into 8 slices (now they look like pinwheels).
- To form 1 tree, on cookie sheet, (I line mine with parchment paper it's easier to move trees to cool and to final decorating plate), Place 1 slice, cut side down, for top of tree.
- Arrange 2 slices below, sides touching.
- Continue arranging rows of 3, 4, and 5 slices.
- Use remaining slice for trunk.
- Bake first tree 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 5 minutes on wire rack.
- Repeat for 2nd tree on another cool cookie sheet.
- Place trees on serving platter.
- If you do not have a decorators bag and tip, spoon the dip into a zip lock bag.
- Cut 1/4 inch hole in bottom corner of bag; and pipe over tree like garland, and a dollop of dip in on each pinwheel except trunk.
- Place tomato slice on each pinwheel except top and bottom ones.
- With 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch star shaped cutter, cut 2 stars from yellow bell pepper; place one on top of each tree.
- Chop remaining bell pepper; sprinkle over trees.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate until serving time.