Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From a 1971 cook book
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- Sift dry ingredients (EXCEPT SUGAR) together.
- Combine butter & shortening to form 1/2 cup.
- Cream butter/shortening mix with sugar.
- Add egg, molasses, then dry ingredients that have been sifted together.
- Add hot water last & beat until smooth.
- The batter is soft, but will make a fined grained cake.
- Bake in a greased 12x8-inch pan or 2 sq. 8-inch cake pans at 325F for 30-35 minute.
- Best served warm, but also good cold.+.