Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the Pioneer Woman's blog - this apetizer dates back to 1981 and is a classic. Here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/4r6xz9
- 1 (8 ounce) box Club crackers
- 1⁄2 lb parmesan cheese, and romano cheese blend (1 slightly teaspoon per cracker)
- 1 lb bacon, rashers cut in 1/2 (thin-sliced bacon, this will probably be more than you need)
- Begin by laying crackers on a cookie sheet, face up.
- Now just spoon 1 teaspoon of cheese over each cracker. Repeat on each cracker until they're all covered.
- Now it’s time to assemble! Wrap 1/2 piece of bacon around each cracker -- being careful to completely cover the cracker. You want it to fit snugly, but don’t stretch it too tight as you wrap (try not to have exposed ends).
- Place the little delights on a baking sheet with a rack, and place the pan in a 250-degree oven for around 2 hours (yes, that's right! This is not a misprint! - anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours is good - you want them to be quite 'dry').
- Note: According to the Pioneer Woman - They’re flavorful, crispy, and delicious. And the great thing about these is, you can make them way ahead of time, then store them in a large Ziploc in the freezer. Then, when you’re ready to serve them, just thaw and warm in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Now I admit, there’s really nothing nutritionally redemptive about these appetizers. The bacon fat seeps into both the cheese and the cracker, and they’re positively loaded with calories.