Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
A local recipe that everyone around here makes some version of. How to make it is handed down through the generations, but seldom written down.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups green beans, trimmed and broken into pieces
- 2 cups peeled and sliced carrots
- 2 cups water
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 1 1⁄4 cups evaporated milk
- In a pot, melt butter.
- Add onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add green beans, carrots,water, and salt to taste.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook about 25-30 minutes.
- Add potatoes and frozen peas.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until potatoes are done, about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain off some of the water.
- You need the remaining water to come about halfway up the vegetables in the pot.
- Add evaporated milk and heat to a good serving temperature.
- Do not boil.