Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
German Raspberry Cake- Yum!
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cups milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 10-inch springform pan with one tablespoon of the butter.
- Sift together 1 c flour, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl.
- Beat sugar and 8 T butter in separate bowl with an electric mixer until blended and fluffy. Add eggs individually, beating well in between each egg.
- Stir in flour mixture in 3 batches with a rubber spatula.
- Place batter in springform pan and bake about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool completely on cooling rack.
- For Filling: Heat cinnamon and 1 1/2 c milk into a large saucepan over medium heat until bubbles begin to appear around edges.
- Meanwhile, mix together flour and sugar with remaining milk (1 1/2 c) until smooth.
- Gradually add flour/milk mixture to the hot milk, whisking constantly until mixture becomes smooth and too thick to whisk.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until mixture becomes paste-like, pulling away from the bottom of the saucepan (about 5 minutes).
- Transfer paste to mixing bowl , remove cinnamon and discard, and set aside, stirring often, until cool.
- Combine egg yolks with vanilla and stir into paste after it has cooled. Set aside.
- Whisk remaining egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk cream in another large bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, mix half of the whipped cream into the paste and gently fold in whites while maintaining the volume of the whites.
- Fold in remaining whipped cream.
- Spread half (about 1 cup) of the filling over the cake and scatter raspberries over it. Cover the raspberries with remaining filling and smooth evenly.
- Bake in over at 325 until filling is golden and browned in spots, approximately 1 1/2- 2 hours. Filling should feel springy to the touch.
- Cool cake on a cooling rack. Slide a knife around the edges of the pan before removing and transferring to a cake plate.