Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Herring is a staple of the Lithuanian cold table. I first tasted this at a holiday party. The hostess rattled off the ingredients and I have been trying to recreate it. The contrast between the sweet-tart apple and the salty fish is quite nice. I like a bit more herring, but this is a nice way to introduce people to an underappreciated fish. I am estimating the servings and time to prepare, and have not included the 24 hour soaking period or chilling time.
- Place the herring fillets in a bowl, cover with water and refrigerate for 24 hours or so, changing the water two to four times.
- Drain the herring. Cut each fillet lengthwise in half, then cut into dice.
- Peel and boil the potatoes until done. Let cool and dice.
- Hard cook the eggs. Peel and chop.
- Finely chop the onion. Place into a small bowl. Cover with boiling water and let stand ten minutes. Drain.
- Core and dice the apple.
- Place the herring, potatoes, eggs, onion and apple in a large bowl. Add the mayonnaise and mix together. Chill for at least an hour before serving.
- Note: If you want this to be a bit more colorful, add 1/2 cup cooked and cooled green peas, 1/2 cup diced, cooked carrot or some other colorful vegetable.