Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Every Day Food.
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lb thin whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh herb (such as parsley, tarragon, and chives)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente according to package instructions.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Return pasta to pot.
- Stir in butter, lemon zest, juice, and herbs
- season with salt and pepper.
- Add some of the reserved pasta water to adjust consistency, if needed.
I made a half batch of this to go alongside some steak & vegies using fresh parsley, basil, oregano & thyme. I love the subtleness of the lemon flavour with the herbs, very simple way to jazz up the humble spaghetti.
I made this with a little extra butter (about 1.5 tbsp) and only using fresh parsley for the herbs. I would not try this with dried herbs as I think the flavour would not be anywhere near as good. It was quite good with a subtle flavour. I will definitely be making this again.
I used a combo of whole-wheat, spinach and regular spaghetti. Used the herbs suggested, only dried. It was okay. It seemed like it needed some oil. I like my husband's recipe better. I might try it again with some added oil and see if it changes the flavor.