Prep 35 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Great side dish for special dinners!
- 1 quart milk
- 1 quart water
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cups polenta (not instant)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- Oil a 12 x 15" rimmed baking sheet.
- In a saucepan, bring milk, water, and butter to boil.
- Add salt and rosemary.
- Gradually whisk in the polenta until smooth.
- Bring to a simmer, whisking, until thickened.
- Cook over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Whisk the eggs into the polenta, one at a time, then whisk in 1 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Spread polenta on the prepared baking sheet in an even layer.
- Let cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly butter a 15 x 10" baking dish.
- Cut the polenta into 2" squares.
- Arrange the squares in the prepared baking dish in a single layer, overlapping them slightly.
- Pour the cream over the polenta and sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.