Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my son and DIL's favorite macaroni and cheese recipe. They prefer using Havarti or Muenster cheese.
- 1 (7 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup havarti cheese or 1⁄2 cup muenster cheese, cubed
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour and seasonings; gradually add milk.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat; add sour cream, Havarti cheese and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Stir until melted.
- Drain macaroni; place in an ungreased 1-1/2 quart baking dish.
- Add cheese sauce and mix well.
- Combine Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and remaining cheddar cheese; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
We don't have Havarti or Muenster here, so I used Swiss instead....and skipped the breadcrumbs on the top ( not a fan).
Great mac recipe....made for a most enjoyable dinner.
Made for PRMR.
Yum...this is the ultimate comfort food. I used non-fat milk with a little fat-free half-and-half and Havarti cheese. So tasty and a little bit more grown up than usual!
This was a nice change from regular mac&cheese. I used Havarti, Cheddar and Parmesan. I got the remark from my two "mac&cheese experts" that I should add butter to bread crumbs next time to get them crunchy and that I should add a lot more parmesan. I will try that :)