Recipe by WiGal
This is my son and DIL's favorite macaroni and cheese recipe. They prefer using Havarti or Muenster cheese.
Top Review by Noo
We don't have Havarti or Muenster here, so I used Swiss instead....and skipped the breadcrumbs on the top ( not a fan).
Great mac recipe....made for a most enjoyable dinner.
Made for PRMR.
- 1 (7 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup havarti cheese or 1⁄2 cup muenster cheese, cubed
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour and seasonings; gradually add milk.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat; add sour cream, Havarti cheese and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Stir until melted.
- Drain macaroni; place in an ungreased 1-1/2 quart baking dish.
- Add cheese sauce and mix well.
- Combine Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and remaining cheddar cheese; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 15-20 minutes.