Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Couscous is a great "fast-food". Boil water, add the couscous, wait 5 minutes and it's done. The following salad can be created in very little time and is tasty and healthy. Couscous is a grain that has little flavor on its own (somewhat like rice) so can be used in both salty and sweet dishes.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup instant couscous
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 serrano chili peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 large carrots, coarsely shredded
- 6 scallions, including green tops,minced
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄3 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- In a 2-quart saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
- Add the couscous and salt and stir well.
- Remove from the heat, cover, and let stand until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Using a fork, fluff up the couscous until there are no lumps.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the bell pepper, chilies, tomato, carrots, scallions, garlic, basil, cilantro, mint, vinegar, and oil to the warm couscous and mix well with a fork to separate the grains.
- Add the salt and fresh pepper, cover, and chill for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the cheese just before serving.