Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
a savory stuffed chicken
- 1 (4 lb) roasting chickens
- 1 (12 ounce) package herb stuffing cubes
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 ounces prosciutto or 2 ounces baked ham, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place roasting rack in large roasting pan.
- Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels.
- In large bowl, toss stuffing with 1 C water.
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, spinach, prosciutto, garlic, sage and rosemary to skillet; saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add spinch mixture to stuffing.
- Stir in heavy cream and lemon juice; mix well.
- Spoon stuffing loosely into chicken cavity, filling about 3/4 full.
- Fold skin over openings and close with metal skewers.
- Tuck wings under chicken.
- Place on roasting rack.
- Roast chicken until an instant-read meat thermometer, inserted in the thigh, not touching the bone, registers 180 and chicken is golden, about 1 hour 45 minutes.
This was really good. I had to use fresh diced bread as I've never seen packaged stuffing cubes here. I used 3 slices of bread and took note of the other reviewer's comment of bitterness, and reduced the herbs a bit-so no bitterness we could taste. I watched my chicken and removed it as soon as it was just cooked-so it was extremely moist. I did rub the skin of the chicken with olive oil and season it though. I will make it again, and think a bit of feta in the stuffing would be a good addition too.
I tried this recipe and the chicken was very bland and tasteless. Also the stuffing was very dry and bitter. will never make this again, very disapointed