Recipe by BillJ51
I've tried bakery and grocery store Soda bread and found it Dry and flavorless. I was watching Cooking live and saw this made with a few different ingredients. I didn't have buttermilk. I used rosemary and parsley for my spices--you can choose your own.
Top Review by Tarynne
Bill thanks for sharing this recipe. It has a lot of flavor. I used thyme, oregano and parsley and served with butter. It was fantastic. I have had soda bread in the past and this was much lighter than what I remembered.
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons spices
- 2 teaspoons spices
- flour (for kneading)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F degrees.
- Put vinegar in 2 cup measuring cup and add enough milk to make 14 oz; set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix together dry ingredients.
- Add liquid and mix together slowly by hand until dough forms.
- Turn onto floured surface.
- Gently knead dough to form an 8-inch circle (this should only take about two minutes) dough should be soft and about 2-3 inches thick.
- Place in a baking pan (your option).
- Cut a cross pattern in dough+ (it should go at least halfway into and be entire length and width).
- Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 400°F and bake 15-20 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven when golden brown.