1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Sun-Sentinel, Feb. 28, 2008. It was adapted from the San Francisco Chronicle. I don't want to lose it. It was called Grandmother's Oven-Baked Chicken but I wanted to distinguish it a bit. Here's what the blurb says "In this recipe, a Pirie family heirloom, chicken is studded with garlic and slowly baked in butter until it almost falls off the bone. We find the chicken more succulent with the skin on but it works fine without. Whichever way you make it, this recipe is addictive and will fill your home with the smell of slow-baking garlic- be sure to serve the caramelized garlic pieces too. This chicken is also excellent served cold for a picnic."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Separate garlic cloves, peel, and cut lengthwise into slices about 1/8 inch thick, remove any green sprouts inside garlic.
- 3Put chicken on a large platter and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- 4Pierce surface of each chicken piece four times with the tip of a small paring knife big enough to insert a garlic slice into each.
- 5Insert the garlic and reserve any of the leftover pieces of garlic.
- 6Combine the parsley, oregano and breadcrumbs in a wide bowl.
- 7Put flour in a separate wide bowl.
- 8In a third bowl, big enough to dip the chicken in, use a fork or whisk to whip the eggs with 2 tbs. water until well blended.
- 9Melt the butter in a 9 X 13 inch baking dish by placing it in the oven for a few minutes.
- 10Meanwhile, dredge each piece of chicken in the flour, then the egg, then the the breadcrumb mixture.
- 11When the butter melts, remove the dish from the oven with a potholder and nestle the chicken pieces in the warm butter, arranging pieces to fit tightly.
- 12Tuck in any leftover garlic pieces, large or small.
- 13Bake chicken 45 minutes on the middle rack, then carefully turn each piece of chicken and bake 35 more minutes, or until the chicken is well browned and crisp on the edges; remove from oven and let cool slightly.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Heirloom Oven-Baked Chicken With Lots of Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 782.1
- Calories from Fat 391
- Total Fat 43.5 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 291.5 mg
- Sodium 1667.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 43.1 g