1/2 Photos of Heaven and Hell Cake With Peanut Butter Ganache
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 20 mins
A post by Claire inspired me to go off in search of this recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but will do so immediately!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Angel Food Cake
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup egg white (about seven or eight)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Devils Food Cake
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Peanut Butter Mousse
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups peanut butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 lbs milk chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups cream
- 1ANGEL FOOD CAKE: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Cut a circle of parchment paper or wax paper to fit the bottom of a 9" cake pan.
- 3Do not grease the pan or paper.
- 4Sift together the flour and powdered sugar and set aside.
- 5Place the egg whites in the bowl of a heavy duty mixer.
- 6Beat slowly while adding the salt and cream of tartar and continue beating for 1 minute or until soft peaks form.
- 7Increase speed to medium, add sugar into whites by tablespoons until all is incorporated, then beat about 1-1/2 minutes longer.
- 8When egg whites have stiff peaks, add vanilla and almond extract.
- 9Remove bowl from mixer and sprinkle half of the powdered sugar-flour mixture and fold in again, using a minimum number of strokes so the egg whites do not deflate.
- 10Gently spoon the mixture into the pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- 11Do not over bake or the cake will sink in the center.
- 12DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 13Oil and flour a round 9-inch cake pan.
- 14Sift the cocoa powder into the mixing bowl, then drizzle in the coffee while whisking to make a smooth paste.
- 15Set aside.
- 16(Might be more liquid than paste) Combine shortening, sugar, vanilla, and eggs and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- 17In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- 18Alternately add the cocoa-coffee mixture and the flour mixture to the sugar-egg mixture and continue beating until incorporated.
- 19Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- 20Test for doneness.
- 21PEANUT BUTTER MOUSSE: In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip the cream cheese until light and creamy.
- 22Gradually beat in the powdered sugar, then the peanut butter.
- 23If mixture looks lumpy, add 2 tablespoons of heavy cream.
- 24Continue beating until thoroughly incorporated and fluffy.
- 25Transfer mixture to another bowl and set aside.
- 26Place heavy cream in the electric mixer bowl and whip until stiff.
- 27Carefully, but thoroughly, combine both mixtures; set aside.
- 28GANACHE (FROSTING): In a saucepan, bring the cream to a boil and stir in the chocolate.
- 29Remove from heat, cover pan and let the chocolate melt.
- 30Whisk to combine thoroughly then let cool to room temperature.
- 31ASSEMBLING HEAVEN AND HELL CAKE: When both cakes have cooled, carefully slice them in half horizontally with a long, serrated knife so that you now have four layers.
- 32Place one layer of the devil's food cake on a cake plate and spoon 1/3 of the peanut butter mousse on the top.
- 33Place a layer of the angel food on top of the mousse and spread with another 1/3 of the peanut butter.
- 34Continue layering until you have four layers of cake and three layers of mousse.
- 35Whisk the ganache and spread with a spatula over the top and sides to frost generously.
- 36Chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours before serving.
- 37Serve chilled; slice with a warm, wet knife.
- 38Recipe Tip: slice thinly!
- 39It's rich!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Heaven and Hell Cake With Peanut Butter Ganache
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1027.5
- Calories from Fat 552
- Total Fat 61.4 g
- Saturated Fat 26.4 g
- Cholesterol 111.3 mg
- Sodium 508.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 79.8 g
- Protein 19.4 g