Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe from a back issue of Homemakers Magazine is hearty, tasty and filling without the meat. I make it with orecchiette but you can use whichever short pasta shape you have on hand. It's delicious topped with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 19 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups orecchiette, cooked
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime peel, grated
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet set over medium heat.
- Add the onion, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until the onion is softened.
- Stir in the tomatoes and garlic.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often to scrape up any cooked on bits.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, pasta and corn.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and lime peel.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheddar.