Recipe by Whisper
This is a thick, hearty, and delicious stew from Lean and Luscious and Meatless. Just add a salad and some bread and your meal is complete!
Top Review by hp
So delicious. I played around with the ingredients to reduce the carbs. We paired it with Italian meatballs one night, grilled chicken another night, and then by itself. It never disappointed.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup carrot, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup celery, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 4 cups mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 3 medium potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes, undrained, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans (12 ounces)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and mushrooms.
- Cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add small amounts of water, if necessary, to prevent sticking.
- Add remaining ingredients, except flour, 1/4 cup water, and wine.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir occasionally while cooking.
- In a small bowl, gradually stir flour into 1/4 cup water until smooth.
- Add to stew, along with wine.
- Cook, stirring, 5 more minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.