Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is really filling! I tripled this recipe so I could feed 5 members of my family and a friend. It was just enough! don't worry if it is watery at the end.
- 1⁄4 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced. (or you can use 1/4 tsp. of crushed garlic)
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed tomatoes, in thick sauce
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano (2/3 tsp. dried)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil (same, 2/3 tsp dried)
- 1⁄2-1 cup water (optional)
- You may want to cook sausage ahead of time.
- Brown and drain sausage. Set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic in butter untill onion is translucent.
- Stir in sausage. Heat breifly.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, basil, and water. Heat through and serve.
This was very good. I used one can of diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup of thick tomato sauce, and 1/2 pound garlic sausage to feed three people. I skipped adding water at the end as I wanted a thicker dish, more stew than soup. We also used fresh herbs from the garden and a pinch of pepper flakes to give it a bit more bite. I served this over lentils cooked in chicken broth, which made a very hearty, satisfying meal.
This soup was extremely easy to make and it was very filling. One bowl was enough for me, I was stuffed.