Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A great gift idea, include the recipe on a cute tag for your friends. Low cost when you average out the price of ingredients and how much it makes!!!!
- 1 (14 ounce) packagedry split peas
- 1 (14 ounce) package alphabet pasta
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 1 (12 ounce) package pearl barley
- 1 (12 ounce) package lentils
- 4 cups instant minced onion
- Combine all ingredients in a large airtight container.
- Stir to evenly distribute ingredients.
- Label as Hearty Soup Mix.
- Store in a cool, dry place and use within 6 months.
- Shake well before using.
- Makes about 12 1/2 cups of mix.
- Hearty Soup Stock: Put 6 cups of water and 1 1/3 cups of mix in a large kettle or Dutch oven.
- Add 1 1/2 T salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Add 2 carrots, sliced, 1 or 2 stalks celery, chopped, 1 1/2 cups cabbage, shredded, 2 (15 oz) cans of tomato sauce, 1 (24 oz) can vegetable juice cocktail, and if desired 1 lb lean cooked ground beef or leftover cooked beef.
- Simmer 20 more minutes, until vegetables are cooked.
this made very cute gifts. The one batch I ate tasted good too.