1/5 Photos of Hearty Onion Rye Bread (Bread Machine)
2 hrs 40 mins
This recipe is based on one from Cooking Light. The original recipe is a sourdough Mennonite recipe, apparently from the Volga German community. Cooking Light simplified it by using yogurt instead of sourdough starter. I've reworked it for the bread machine. It made a big, beautiful and fragrant loaf.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups stone-ground rye flour
- 2 -2 1/4 cups bread flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast (one envelope)
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1In a large skillet, heat the oil and saute the onions over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until they are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- 2Place the yogurt, egg, rye flour, 2 cups bread flour, caraway, salt and pepper in the bread pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Set and run on the dough cycle. Check about 10 minutes into the cycle and add as much of the remaining bread flour as needed to form a ball.
- 3About five minutes before the end of the cycle (or when your machine signals), add the onions.
- 4After the dough has risen, remove from the bread pan. Shape into a 7 inch round (or your preferred shape, and let rise.
- 5Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- 6Beat together the water and egg yolk and brush on the loaf. Sprinkle with the kosher salt, if desired. Make three parallel slashes across the top of the loaf, and place in oven.
- 7Bake approximately 35 minutes or until loaf tests as done. Let cool completely before slicing.
- 8Note: I used full-fat yogurt, as the Greek or Arabic yogurt I buy is full-fat. I also needed to add about 1/2 cup flour - this is always a judgment call, so be guided.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Onion Rye Bread (Bread Machine)
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.8
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 30.8 mg
- Sodium 607.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 5.9 g