Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausage
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 large green peppers, sliced
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 sandwich buns, split
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- In a large skillet, brown the beef and sausage; drain.
- Place into the slow cooker, 1/3 of the onions, 1/3 of the peppers and top with 1/2 of the meat; repeat; top with remaining 1/3 of the onions and peppers.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and pepper flakes.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon meat/vegetable mixture on each roll.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of meat/vegetable mixture if desired.
- Use pan juices for dipping.