Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
Posting for safekeeping. From AR but tweaked slightly.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (8 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, diced
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- salt, to taste
- 2 lbs halibut, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and garlic, and continue cooking until the potatoes have softened slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Pour in chicken stock, tomatoes, carrots, and corn.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the milk and cream, season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in the halibut. Continue simmering uncovered until the halibut is flaky and no longer translucent in the center, about 10 minutes.
- Gently stir in the Cheddar cheese and red pepper flakes until the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately.