Recipe by Shabby Sign Shoppe
Makes a large batch to feed 8-10 people. Hearty meal we serve up with steaming white rice, sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese This chili is teamed with just enough spice to make everyone come back for more!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons beef base (I find this at the spice section in Costco)
- 1 cup coffee (brewed)
- 3 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 4 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies, undrained (I puree these in mini- food processor)
- 1 cup potato flakes (to thicken)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook first beef and garlic in a 5- to 6-qt. Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain well, and return to Dutch oven. Add chili powder and next 6 ingredients; cook 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, and cook 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients except for the potato flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer at least 2 hours.
- Add potato flakes 1 cup (sometimes 1 1/2 cups is needed) to thicken the pot as needed.