Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This lovely cottage pie is a favourite in our household and so quick and easy to make. makes lovely large portions and comes in at about £4 for the whole recipe. my own recipe ive been making for years. tuck in.
- 500 g minced beef
- 1 onion
- 1⁄2 swede
- 4 carrots
- 5 potatoes
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 500 ml water (may use less)
- 50 g cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- chop the onion and brown with the mince in a saucepan. add stock cube and cover with water. simmer for 20 minutes. add worcestershire sauce.
- meanwhile, chop and peel the potatoes, carrots and swede and place in a pan of boiling water. cook for 20 minutes until tender.
- place the mince and onion mixture into a large oven proof dish
- drain and mash the carrots, potatoes and swede with the butter. place on top of the mince.
- add the grated cheese and score with a fork then bake in oven at 220 degrees for 20 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- serve with peas and gravy.