Recipe by Little Italy
A really good comfort bread. Its not spongy like wonder bread, and goes very well with lentil soup.
Top Review by Ozlem
I have been baking this recipe from Marilyn M. Moore's 'The Wooden Spoon Bread Book'. The recipe is from Arrowhead Mills and it is very healthy and delicious. Best Bread I have ever tasted.
- 2 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup molasses or 1⁄4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 cup wheat gluten
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 3 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 1 cup wheat flour (additional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir yeast and molasses into water.
- Mix all dry ingredients except additional wheat flour and oat flakes. Combine dry mixture with yeast mixture. Knead in additional flour to form a dough.
- Let rise in bowl until size doubles (about 1 hour). And grease a large cookie sheet (or two medium ones).
- Preheat oven @ 350F and punch the dough and roll into two loaves. Next roll on oat flakes to make it look fancy. Place side by side on oiled cookie sheets and let them rise about 45 minutes.
- Bake 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.