Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe uses fat free chicken broth, a minimum of oil,and don't add salt-and you'll create a dish thats favorful and healthy. The recipe comes from Heart Healthy. com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 1⁄3 cups long grain white rice, uncoooked
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green peppers, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 cup water chestnut, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- black pepper
- Bring water and chicken broth to boil in medium-size saucepan; add rice and stir, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, let stand, covered, for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, Reserve,.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet; Saute onion and celery over moderate heat for 3 minutes; stir in green pepper, pecans, sage, chestnuts, nutmeg and pepper and cooked Rice, fluff with fork before serving.
Wonderful rice with nice flavors. I used green onions, omitted the pecans, and used freshly grated nutmeg. Light fluffy rice with a bit of crunch from the vegetables. We added a little light soy sauce and served with Engrossed's recipe #206132. Thank you Barb!